Master Teachers Appointed For Teaching Excellence Program
Nine outstanding Victorian teachers have been chosen to lead the Andrews Labor Government’s Teaching Excellence Program – an Australian-first professional learning program at the new Victorian Academy of Teaching and Leadership.
The Teaching Excellence Program will provide advanced professional learning for highly-skilled teachers at government, Catholic, and Independent schools – working with academics, international experts and partners from across various sectors to deliver an innovative training program for Victoria’s best and brightest educators.
The one-year program will support up to 500 teachers each year to advance their professional practice, with access to the best research in the science of learning and discipline-based content knowledge at academies in Melbourne, Bairnsdale, Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, Mildura, Moe and Shepparton from the beginning of 2022.
The nine exemplary teachers were selected from around Victoria to lead eight disciplinary streams including arts, English, humanities, languages, technologies, science, mathematics and health and physical education.
Each Master Teacher was selected based on being recognised as an exceptional teacher in their field, having knowledge and skills for curriculum and professional learning design and contributing to the teaching culture in their school, raising student achievement and learning confidence and participation in their learning.
The Master Teachers for each subject discipline are:
- Adam Brodie-McKenzie – University High School (Humanities)
- Dr. Andrea Truckenbrodt – McKinnon Primary School (Languages)
- Christopher Wines – Ballarat High School (Science)
- Clare Mackie – Haileybury College (English)
- Colin Chapman – Caroline Chisholm Catholic College (Technologies)
- Hayley Dureau – Mount Waverley Secondary College (Mathematics)
- Johanna Simmons – Altona P-12 College (English)
- Paul Seery – Bendigo Senior Secondary College (Health and PE)
- Tobias Wilkins – Box Hill High School (the Arts)
Quotes attributable to Minister for Education James Merlino
“I welcome and congratulate our inaugural Master Teachers – I can’t wait to see the work they do in inspiring and building the skills of Victoria’s best and brightest teachers.”
“We’ve established the Victorian Academy of Teaching and Leadership not just to invest in our amazing teaching workforce, but to deliver better outcomes for every Victorian child for many years to come.”