Building the Education State in Monbulk
Students in Monbulk are big winners in the Andrews Labor Government’s first Education State Budget.
Two local schools will share a total of $4 million for building and renovation projects.
- Monbulk College will receive $3 million towards the refurbishment and replacement of classrooms, to create 21st century learning spaces
- Mooroolbark East Primary School will receive $1 million to upgrade its sports hall and improve teaching spaces, plus drainage works
The Labor Government has used its first Education State Budget to inject a massive $730 million back into school infrastructure to build and upgrade schools across the state, ensuring students are educated in the school environments they deserve.
Under an extensive and re-vitalised school’s building program, scores of Victorian government schools will be renovated, refurbished and rebuilt, new schools will be constructed and brand-new relocatable classrooms will be delivered to meet demand at growing schools.
The Budget will fund the first stage of an extensive asbestos removal program so that families can be assured their children are being educated in safe schools.
It also includes $120 million to build and upgrade Catholic and independent schools across the state, matching dollar-for-dollar the non-government sector’s contribution.
Other Budget commitments include:
- $35 million for more than 120 brand new relocatable classrooms to meet the demand of schools bursting at the seams;
- More than $25 million in extra funding for school maintenance;
- $10 million for an Inclusive Schools Package to provide additional infrastructure and equipment to support students with disabilities at schools across the state.
Quotes attributable to the Member for Monbulk and Minister for Education, James Merlino:
“This is the biggest education Budget ever, because Victorian students deserve nothing less.
“We can measure the quality of our education system by the quality of our government schools – which is why I am delighted to see schools in Monbulk receiving funding for vital improvements.
“The Andrews Labor Government is transforming Victoria into the Education State so that all children have access to high-quality schools regardless of their background and where they live.”