Building Better Schools For Geelong And Surf Coast Kids
Kids in Geelong and the Surf Coast will get the world-class schools they deserve, as the Andrews Labor Government gets on with the job of fixing, upgrading and modernising Victoria’s schools.
The Labor Government has today announced that the Victorian Budget 2018/19 will invest $180.8 million to build and upgrade 60 regional schools. In Geelong, $36.1 million alone will go towards building and upgrading schools including:
- $20.2 million for construction of the new Armstrong Creek West Primary School to open in 2020
- $3.9 million for the design and early works of the new Armstrong Creek Secondary School
- $600,000 for Ceres Primary School to deliver the next stage works of their master plan
- $1.6 million for Highton Primary School to upgrade and modernise facilities
- $1.9 million for Torquay P-6 College to upgrade and modernise facilities
- $1.3 million for Surfside Primary School to upgrade and modernise facilities
- $600,000 for Moolap Primary School to upgrade and modernise facilities
- $400,000 for Wallington Primary School to upgrade and modernise facilities
- $1.2 million for Oberon South Primary School to upgrade and modernise facilities
- $1.5 million for Northern Bay P-12 College Wexford Campus to upgrade facilities
- $300,000 for Teesdale Primary to upgrade and modernise facilities
- $2.1 million for Barwon Valley School to refurbish classrooms and facilities in poor condition
This comes on top of the recently announced funding of $500,000 for Moriac Primary School for its upgrade.
This massive boost to regional school funding will upgrade classrooms and school facilities across Victoria, helping teachers and giving more students the support they need to get the 21st century education they deserve.
The Victorian School Building Authority will now start working with schools to determine the scope of their upgrades and how they can best be delivered.
The Labor Government is building the Education State so every Victorian student can get a great education and every community has access to a great local school.
Since 2014, the Labor Government has invested $775 million in regional school infrastructure. This contrasts with the Liberals and Nationals who let our regional schools crumble and decay, while slashing $1 billion from the education budget and axing the Educational Maintenance Allowance and School Start Bonus.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Education James Merlino
“Building a new primary and secondary school in Armstrong Creek will ensure we keep pace with the community’s booming population and give families certainty and peace of mind.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Western Victoria Gayle Tierney
“The community have fought hard for new schools in Armstrong Creek and only Labor is getting on and delivering them. This is about putting hard working families across Geelong and the Surf Coast first.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Bellarine Lisa Neville
“Having the best school facilities on the Bellarine supports our hardworking educators in giving our kids the best start in life.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Geelong Chris Couzens
“We’re upgrading schools right across Geelong to make sure they have the best classrooms and the best facilities.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Lara John Eren
“Northern Bay is a fantastic local school and with these upgrades to its Wexford Campus it will be even better. This is the Labor Government once again standing up for families across Geelong.”